New in 2021: Online Burn Procedure

Lyon County Emergency Communications is implementing a new procedure for reporting open burns. Historically, burn permits were written yearly in person and were permitted to start a controlled burn any day that a burn ban had not been issued.

Moving forward, Lyon County residents will be able to report open burning daily on the this website, allowing Lyon County 911 and first responders the ability to track open burns across the county in real time. The new procedure will continue to follow the open burning regulations from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

What if I do not have internet access to report an open burn online?

Those who are unable to access the online open burn procedure can call Lyon County 911 to report open burn for that specific day. Once burn is extinguished, a call back to dispatch is necessary if you have not used the online procedure. (620) 341-4225

Why is the county moving to a daily reporting?

Daily reporting gives Lyon County 911 and the local agencies information to track active open burning occurring in each district. County dispatch often receives several calls about smoke. Typically, these calls are connected to a controlled burn. The new system will help determine if/when the fire departments should be deployed to a fire and with what equipment (grass, structure, etc.).

Where do I find the online burn procedure?

Daily open burn reporting is available at

Does my bonfire, ceremonial fire, or trash burn pile need a to report online? What is considered a brush pile?

A campfire or ceremonial fire under five feet in diameter is not considered a brush pile. Any pile larger than five feet in diameter warrants the need to obtain a burn permit before ignition.

What if my brush pile continues burning for multiple days?

The county understands that brush piles may burn for more than one day. However, the person responsible for the fire is expected to follow the Online Burn Procedure and make a reasonable effort to prevent the fire from spreading as well as report burn online.

What if my controlled burn location will warrant more burning than just one day?

If you are conducting a large pasture clearing operation and burning will continue for more than one day, the county asks that you watch the weather conditions and check for no burn days. Additionally, please report open burns online.

What should I do if my burn gets out of control?

Call 911 as soon as possible. The fire department for that area will be dispatched to help contain the fire or extinguish it. The fire department and Sheriff’s Office will want to speak with the person in charge of the permit to determine if a violation occurred and if a notice to appear in court should be issued.

How do I know if burning is allowed each day?

The online open burn procedure will be unavailable when a burn ban is issued. You can also refer to the National Weather Service and Lyon County 911 Facebook (@LyonCounty911) pages for Red Flag Warnings.

Red Flag Warnings

For current Red Flag Warnings and weather notifications visit the National Weather Service or LCECC on social media.

Report a burn here.

Skip to content